What is the ideal retirement corpus one should have?
– The retirement corpus that you require at retirement would differ from person to person.
– The corpus required would depend on several factors. It would depend on what is the monthly income that you need at retirement. We have clients whom we support with Rs 50K a month and we have customers whom we support with an income of Rs 5 lakh a month. One way to do it is to look at your current monthly expenses and adjust that for inflation.
– The other factors that go into computing your required retirement corpus is the tenure to retirement. Some of us may want to retire early, and if the tenure for which you require monthly income goes up, it again increases the corpus required. Many clients of ours choose to retire early to either pursue their interest which could range from entrepreneurship to working for social impact.
– There are other assumptions like inflation rate and the rate of return that would impact your inflation. What most people miss out is the impact of inflation post inflation. If you need Rs 1 lakh per month as of today, in the next 8 years that is likely to be Rs 2 lakh per month. At the 16th year, it is a staggering 4 lakh a month.
– Let me give you an example- a 40 year old person looking to retire at 60 years would require about Rs 3.5 to 4 crore.
– Since most of the time, this is a long term plan with many assumptions, we normally review where we stand against our goal every 2-3 year. As we come closer to the need, this helps us refine our assumptions.
Whatsapp : +91 91480 96684
Call: +91 98453 99780